Monday, September 27, 2010

Dublin Dereliction Duty: Spiderman Was Here

Western Way, Dublin

On a lonesome curved road on the north side of Dublin, opposite the dark spire of the Black Church (walk around the church counterclockwise three times at midnight and it's said you'll see the devil), this mural -- half ghost sign, half art installation -- once stood. I went looking for it about six months ago when I was in Dublin, and either it's not visible through beer goggles or it's just plain gone.

Supposing you were too busy courting Beelzebub to notice this bit of street art, now's your chance to see what you missed. It was a strange sight, this mural: towering above a single red Georgian door, stretching across a massive wall of dull brown brick, it was both in plain view and yet still felt hidden. The faded pastels of the paint and hardly legible text made sense enough, but then it was topped off with this bit of metal work: a stylized spider web that would do Spidey himself proud.

I've hunted all I can for the story behind it, but all I seem to find are more tall tales involving run-ins with Old Scratch. Maybe I have to circle the building clockwise three times at noon to get my answer.

8 comments:

Radge said...

I know this one. I remember it, seeing it on my way to school and wondering what was behind it, both literally and figuratively.

I'm off to invoke himself. For the craic, like.

Therese Cox said...

Radge - Glad you remember it. Even though I have photographic evidence, I still feel like I dreamt it up. Was it there long?

Ah sure enjoy yourself with the Prince of Darkness.

Radge said...

Yeah, it was there as long as I remember taking that bus, which would have been between '91 and '97.

Therese Cox said...

Wow, quite a life span. I don't know why I mistrust my own memory on this one, but if you're ever round that way, would you check on that wall for me to see if it's really gone? Just consider yourself part of the &7 research department.

Radge said...

Yeah, of course, I'd be happy to. I like the idea of being intrepid.

Robt. said...

Took a detour on my cycle from Ashtown to Sandymount last night to check this, and Yes, it's still there. You can rest easy!

Geomizosi said...

this is the logo for mountjoy street medical centre

Anonymous said...

I go past this 'thing' everyday and was interested in finding out more and came across this, FYI

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055749635&page=23